Thursday, May 15, 2008

Soroptimist International - Making a Difference for Women Award

Yesterday I attended the annual Soroptimist International Award Dinner, this is an amazing worldwide organization for women in management and professions, working through service projects to advance human rights and the status of women. The first Soroptimist club was founded in Oakland, California, in 1921, through to the present day where over 3000 clubs are flourishing throughout the world, Soroptimists have continued to strive to achieve 'the best for women' in every sphere of their lives.

To my surprise, I was presented with an award for participating in Project SMILE, the project consisted of doing hair & makeup and a photo shoot for victims of domestic violence and their children with the hope that they have a better outlook for their new life; not to mention to give them a day of pampering that is well deserved. The project was created in collaboration with the Next Door Solutions to Domestic Violence organization. Their HomeSafe transitional housing is amazing - it allows those women and children who've escaped abusers to rebuild their lives in a supportive group environment.
The award recipients and participants of this project were my colleagues: Rhee Bevere, Jeanne DePolo, Tanja Lippert, Shannon Montez, Chyna Denner, Kim Sayre, Angela Banchi, Karen Rusten, Kristen Calderaro, Teresa Garcia, Sarah Pena, Sarah Hyde, Farzana Farzam, Monina Wright, Tia Gavin, Jennifer Sturken, Gigi Moss, and my dear cousin and PMA assistant extraordinaire Tania Ortega.

I am deeply touched and humbled by this award, I truly feel I didn't do enough to deserve it, but it did motivate me to continue volunteering to improve the lives of other women.

3 comments:

  1. This award is well-deserved. I spoke with Rhee at length two days ago and from what she told me of ProjectSMILE (and the work that had to go into it) I have no doubt that you and the other gals deserve this award most!
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Maria. I'm so proud of you

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment love!